It’s the end of days, folks; the dog days of summer. Before you know it the trees will be changing and the weather will be cooling back down. I love fall in Portland but I’m definitely not ready to let summer go. You can’t beat the warm evenings and hot weekend days–and it’s been HOT! Before it’s too late, we recommend you get your barely clad booty out to some of these uniquely Portland outdoor happenings.
For your handy end of summer planning, we’ve listed our top 10 picks:
- Concerts in the Park: There’s still a few of these left in late August. Grab a picnic, a blanket, and a buddy and enjoy some outdoor music.
- Movies in the Park: Some good ones still left in August and early September, lots of family friendly titles including: Back to the Future, Toy Story, and Maleficent.
Sundown Concerts / First Thursdays: These concerts happen every summer and coincide with First Thursdays in the Pearl. The next concert is Sept. 3, presented by EcoTrust and will feature two bands: Horse Feathers and School of Rock.
- Rooftop Cinema: NW Film Center presents movies under the stars downtown all summer (atop Hotel deLuxe), the last one will be Monty Python’s the Meaning of Life!
- Urban Air Market: August 30th in the Pearl District, the Urban Air Market is a curated outdoor marketplace for sustainable design. Head out to shop local!
- Jade Night Market: August 22nd, the Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon and the Jade District will be hosting the second annual Jade International Night Market. The Jade International Night Market will feature 80 vendors representing the diverse culture of the Jade District, including food, retail and
- Concerts at the Zoo: What what? Upcoming performers include Chris Isaak, Huey Lewis and the News, Weird Al, and Garrison Keillor.
- Sunday Parkways: SE Sunday Parkways is coming up on August 23rd. Tilikum Crossing/Sellwood ride is on Sept. 27th. This is an awesome event and we will be out there too on the big bikes. Great for the whole family and lots of giveaways throughout the ride. And it’s FREE!
- The 2nd Annual Grilled Cheese Invitational: The month long East Burn fundraiser for the Portland Women’s Crisis Line culminates with the Invitational, August 29th at 5pm. 9 local restaurants will compete to win “Best Grilled Cheese.” Games and live music too. Half of all ticket sales go to the Portland Women’s Crisis Line.
- Get thee to the river: If you haven’t yet swum in a river, you gotta do it ASAP. Get thee to a swimming hole, Portlander! Here’s a good list of Oregon’s 25 best.
Grab your fanny pack and make it happen, friends. See you on the streets!